When you design a workflow, you set it to create and update records in Salesforce. That's when you need to use the Salesforce actions, either on the workflow level or directly in the question.
- Each workflow create/update a record in Salesforce : the link record
- Actions can also be used to create additional records, possibly in different objects like tasks or events
- Fields of these records are updated using Salesfoce actions
Before creating actions you should be aware of several automation that are already existing to simplify your work.
- The update of contact/lead standard fields is already set when you use the business card scanner component.
- Zero Keyboard tries automatically to link objects between them.
Example: if your link record is a contact and you create a task in the same workflow, the task will be link to the contact without any setting needed.
- If a workflow is called from a particular record (note of an event, call logging of a contact) the created record will be linked to this original record.
To define an action you need to set several mandatory values:
- Create : will create a record of the selected object (see below). If set on a question it will do it whatever the answer (even no answer) except if the component used is Signal or numpad.
- Update : will let you update a field of the link record, a record created through an action, the original record you started the workflow from.
- Choose the object that should be the target of the action
- If your action is an update choose which field to update
Value (update action only)
- on workflow level actions : you have to set manually the value. This value can be fix or dynamic.
- on question level actions the value is automatically set: it's the answer to the question.
Target (update action only)
- Link record has to be used if you update the main record created/updated by the workflow.
- First updated/created record is to be used when you update a field of a record created by another action.
All updated/created records is only used if you create/update 2 records in the same object and want them to share an identical value.
Example: You create 2 tasks, what happened and what is to be done, but you link both tasks to the same opportunity.
Question : this option is only available if there's a question with a search component, and if the object of the action is the same as the one set in the other question.
Example: in the first question you ask the user to select a question, and in the following question you update a field of the record selected in the first question.